Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Two Weeks in Pennsylvania


I love visiting my children. None of them live here in California so if I am to see them I hop on a airplane (or drive) and try to spend at least two weeks with them. I spent the month of July with Chris and his family in Bountiful, Utah, and with David and Sarah's wedding August 4th, Ben and Cooper were able to come out from PA, but their five fabulous kids weren't able to make the trip. So I took off on September 4th to spend two weeks with Ben, Cooper and their family. I stayed thru September 13 so that I could be there to celebrate Addie's thirteenth (13th) birthday. We had so much fun. Besides Addie's birthday (and her first pedicure), Oliver learned to ride his bike without training wheels, we visited a famous park where Oliver fed the ducks and ate most of the bread, attended a ward picnic where it rained, took the kids shopping for their "grandma arrival" gifts, school shoes, clothes and supplies, took lots of walks, tried to exercise everyday, and juggled business projects.

I loved so many moments while there with Ben, Cooper, Adelaide, Nolan, Calvin, Jane and Oliver, but a few things stood out. Watching Ben and his kids in their garden picking tomatoes, lettuce, watermelon, pumpkins, and watching Ben making homemade salsa with those fresh vegetables. Watching Oliver use my exercise equipment made me smile, the family prayers where Oliver asked Heavenly Father to bless my walks, Jane starting kindergarten, Nolan describing his Lego collection while I video-taped him, and having walks with the kids telling me about their friends.


The highlight of my visit was family home evening when Ben gave a father's blessing to each of the children as they were to start school the next morning. What a special evening where the spirit was so strong. They have such a spiritual home where love abounds, creativity thrives and individuality is encouraged, rewarded and recognized. I didn't want to leave and Calvin was the saddest at my departure. Hopefully we will be able to see them during the holidays when the weather won't be as warm, but the warmth of their home and spirit will welcome us with open arms. Loved it!




No comments:

Post a Comment