Saturday, February 16, 2013

Blessed to Sing

Soloist- Gershwin Broadcast, SLC Tabernacle, Utah Symphony 
I love to sing. And as I approach 62 this month, my voice isn't as flexible as it was when I was younger, and I get hoarse easily from teaching and speaking. But, when I was asked to sing at the ward conference here in Abu Dhabi, 15th of February 2013, in the first and only LDS chapel in the Middle East, I jumped at the chance. What a blessing to be here and to be a part of all of this history in the making. And although I will miss the dedication with Elder Jeffrey Holland on the 27th (my birthday), I feel blessed to have been able to sing here and share the talents I have been given. 


As I was struggling to warm up my voice due to lingering bronchitis and vocal fatigue, I thought back to all of the places I have been blessed to sing. I think my mind wandered back due to the significance of this upcoming dedication here and Elder Jeffery Holland. I don't even remember how many years it has been since seeing him, but I loved his Old Testament classes taught at the University of Utah, and loved being asked by him personally to sing "O Divine Redeemer" every time he spoke at a special fireside while I was attending the University. 


Singing with My Daughter, Angela
There are just so many wonderful memories while attending the University of Utah as a operatic soloist. Singing in the operas, choirs, ensembles, programs, productions, and traveling all over Europe singing, add to the blessings that come to a classically trained singer. i've performed with some of the greatest conductors, singers, instrumentalists and venues that one can imagine. And I've loved every moment. But the most tender moments that have touched my heart and spirit, were when involved with church activities - especially singing the soprano in the Messiah for eight years, singing with my daughter, singing at a few of my grand children's baptisms, singing in the Istanbul, Turkey branch when visiting my son, Chris and his family, and singing at my dad's funeral. These moments far exceed the operatic and oratorio stages where I have been a featured soloist. Those were exciting, but I felt the spirit of the Lord with me as I sang yesterday here in Abu Dhabi the simple song, "I Feel My Saviors Love." I was blessed to sing, and will remember it forever.


Abu Dhabi LDS Chapel

No comments:

Post a Comment