Sunday, April 17, 2011

Burgess Boulevard

Ok.  So it has been my dream since I starting having my wonderful children 35 years ago, to have all five of them living here in Orange County, California on Burgess Boulevard.  But when you send your kids to BYU, U of U, or other out of state colleges, they meet wonderful spouses who are from other parts of the country.  Thus, no Burgess Boulevard - except in my dreams, and still on my "Wish List."  Here to the right is a picture of the last time some of my kids were together in one spot, here at Ken brother's (Dean) home for Labor Day 2010.  Lots of my own kids are missing, but at least David, Chris and Josh & their families are here in this picture, along with my mom.

You read novels about families all living in the same town, getting together on Sunday afternoon for a wonderful pot roast dinner, sharing their school experiences that happened that week, and Church lessons, learned that day in Sunday School.  Sounds great.  That ideal family doesn't exist with busy lives and schedules, but it's still something to long for.  I think it's why I love Blue Bloods, the television show with Tom Selleck.  They actually all do that.  It's about a strong Catholic family that are either cops or attorney's, all meeting on Sunday around a dinner table discussing the latest case.  Very cool show.  It's one of the only family value shows on television nowadays.  I high recommend it.  Back to my personal wishes with my family. I love them, and am very glad they are all successful, living the gospel and happy.  That's what really matters.  Where they live is not important at this point.  Just wishful thinking on my part.

I do get the great advantage with kids living everywhere, to travel to various parts of the world - yes, the world - to visit them.  The bed situation is always a challenge, and of course the pillow count, but it's always fun being there.  Did I mention the pillow count situation?  Well, I think I'm very clear about having to always have at least three pillows.  But, a few of my children forget that and either give me a couple of couch pillows (yikes) or a last minute pillow purchase without a pillowcase!  Hmmm.  This simple request, along with having Atkins vanilla protein shakes in the refrigerator and bottled water, don't seem to extreme.  Maybe I should just try traveling with my pillows from home since I own 20.  Side note, with each visit to Pennsylvania seeing my eldest son, his wonderful wife Cooper, and their five fantastic children - my Walmart shopping there on the most recent visit, did include a couple of pillow purchases, along with 600 count white pillowcases.  So we're good to go there in that regard.  However, the ordered that not-an-Aero bed purchase from www.amazon.com - not so much.  The younger kids may have enjoyed using it as a slide, but it was a nightmare to sleep on.  Note to self:  throw that air bed out!

Here I am with Chris in Dubai.  That was a spectacular trip.  Hard to describe a magical place where it feels like a combination Las Vegas, Monte Carlo, New York City and Maui.  Impossible, unless you were actually there.  I found myself saying "oh my gosh!" a great deal that first week.  Just incredible!  Thanks Chris for playing there.  That was a trip of a lifetime for sure.  I do love seeing parts of the world that I normally wouldn't schedule into a travel agenda.  The usual suspects include Paris, London, Rome, Maui, New York.  But, I've seen Dubai, Istanbul, Korea, Puerto Rico, and Australia.  Wow!  What a life thanks to my traveling pro basketball players - Chris and David.  Friends ask, "So where are they playing now?  Do you get to go visit?"  It is another blessing in my life.  I have loved every place I've visited.  Chris and his wife, Lesa, have always been great about taking me to the hot spots in the areas where they live.  


One of my all-time favorites, besides riding to the top of the tallest building in the world in Dubai, was spending the day and evening at the Sydney Opera House.  It was gorgeous!  That beautiful white structure jutting out of the aqua blue water like that.  Wow!  And, of course, walking the halls where my favorite opera singer, Joan Sutherland, performed will always be treasured.  Being a part of history in Istanbul was another favorite of both Ken and myself. And with this blog I will post a few of the pictures to document and remember.  Remembering is really why we do these blogs.  Life just goes by too quickly.  One day you have these little noisy children that you struggle to control during church meetings.  Then suddenly they are all gone and having families of their own.  I just wish we had blogs back while I raising those great kids.   


2 comments:

  1. Not all of us went to BYU, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am editing and writing. Just started it. :-)

    ReplyDelete