Sunday, April 24, 2011

Istanbul, Turkey

One of my favorite trips with Chris basketball places was Istanbul, Turkey.  Ken and I were both able to go.  The city was unbelievable.  The history and beauty of this ancient city was breathtaking.  It was chilly, as you can see by the picture, but I felt like I was going back in time.  Truly legendary, from the tours through the majestic masques, to shopping for carpets (and knock-off purses) in the Grand Bazaar.  It was spectacular. Speaking of carpets, somehow we found ourselves trapped in a rug presentation in some shop where the shop salesmen, one of thousands of carpet stores, thought we were actually looking to purchase a rug for $32,000.00.  Not sure how that happened.  If you happen to go there, just don't mention the word carpet or rug anywhere in the city of Istanbul, or you are in for a never-ending sales pitch of your life, and they don't take "no" for an answer.  they just continue to show you rug after rug after rug.  From the high end of hundreds of thousands of dollars, down to the desperate small rug purchase pitch, it's hard to get away from those persistent and pesky salesmen, especially when they keep offering you some sort of tea in small cups.  Chris did buy me a knock-off Gucci bag that I still have.  Great trip!

Seoul, Korea was an interesting trip.  Chris made sure to take me to the tourist Village one day, but most of the city was high rise apartments that looked exactly the same.  I didn't venture out on my own - which I rarely do on any of these trips - because first, I couldn't tell anyone where I originally started from (usually Chris and Lesa's apartment), and second, no one would understand me anyway.  So much for hoping the world understands English.  Not.  So I always stick very close to Chris and his family.

The highlight of Seoul for me was attending the LDS branch there.  We sat next to the missionaries and they were excited to translate the entire meeting to me in my ear.  The spirit is always strong and speaks to your heart, but the young missionary was very enthusiastic about translated for me.  He told me that having Chris playing there as a good LDS example of the church, helped them teach.  Chris' involvement with the Hyundai team opened doors for them to teach the gospel in Korea.  That made me very proud.  Oh, I almost forgot.  While Ken and I were there on this amazing trip, the large 50 gallon salt water fish tank in the downstairs family room somehow cracked and flooded our entire downstairs.  Angela couldn't get a hold of us being across the world in a different time zone, so took charge and Ken had to eventually fly home early to handle the huge mess.  Floods are horrid, and the damage was monumental!

On to highlight another incredible trip - without the flood challenges.  What's not to love with this picture?  I'm standing in front of the Sydney Opera House!  Lesa and the girls indulged grandma by letting me spend most of the day wandering through this spectacular building where one of my favorite opera singers - Joan Sutherland - made history.  She is pictured and felt everywhere in this incredible structure.  There are so many unique features of this building, designed by an award winning Danish architect, of which acoustics were key to its shape.  This picture was taken on the side that doesn't show how the opera house juts out of the turquoise ocean, so I will include a professional picture that does. It is beyond spectacular!  Honestly, the most incredible site I've ever seen.  Truly a Wonder of the World!

It is awe-inspiring, to say the least.  I traveled the world and this city of Sydney, has to be far my favorite city.  We walked and ate on the Boardwalk, saw that huge Sydney Harbor Bridge, and so much more.  The day was exhausting, but at the same time, so very memorable.  Everyone should try in their lifetime to get to Australia, visit Croc Creek (yikes), watch the Aborigine shows, shop barefoot in the local grocery stores in Cann (that's right ... barefoot), and definitely spend as much time in Sydney just taking in the beauty of that incredible place.  Again, a highlight for me on this trip was having dinner at a member of the Church' home.  The prayer over dinner was so touching.  The member family's father gave the most humble, touching prayer I've heard.  The kindness and spirit was very strong in that home.  They knew I wanted to take home a boomerang and didn't want me to purchase one at a gift store, airport gift shop or Night Market.  They gave me one right off of their shelf in their home.  That means so much to me.  Beautiful experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment