Sunday, September 18, 2011

Go Team Burgess!

Utes - Ben & Oliver & Jane
 There's definitely a mix of Utah and BYU fans in the family. Personally, I think it's fun. But watching this BYU and Utah football game right now, I'm seeing that this rivalry rivals that of Duke/North Carolina.Wow! Reading all of the Facebook posts brought that rivalry into vivid focus. 
Cougars - Cooper & Adelaide, Nolan & Calvin










I think back to when Angela was playing basketball and attending BYU and Chris was playing basketball and attending the University of Utah, Angela was cheering 
for both sides and wasn't really sure what color to wear - Cougar blue or Ute red. It was funny. I always root for whatever team my kids are playing for, which irritates my children. They think I need to support everyone.
Chris at Duke


Chris University of Utah


David at Gonzaga
















When Chris played his first two years at Duke, I bought out the Duke bookstore of t-shirts, sweatshirts, mugs, etc. I even sent my Starlight leaders Duke shirts. I know...little compulsive. But, that's the way I roll, and besides the bookstore told me that Christian Laitner's mom bought way more!  When  Chris left and went to Utah, I eBay'd most of the Duke items. Then the missionaries that were living with us for two years took whatever Duke stuff that was left in the closet. And when David was signed with Gonzaga, I wore that cool Gonzaga sweatshirt with pride. When he left, I don't remember where that sweatshirt went. (Did I burn it?)


Ben's home team, so to speak, is split down the middle with Cooper having graduated from BYU and Ben from Utah. I love the above pictures taken a couple of years ago. I know Ben's love for Utah is more visibly seen than Cooper's love for BYU because his Utah flag flies outside is door (in Penn State territory mind you) all season. He even (I'm told) dresses in Utah red every game day. So, whenever I can find a polo or t-shirt in red, I send it his way. Gotta keep his Utah wardrobe fresh and new!
Siri & Chamberlain 2011


So,as I'm watching these two teams play this evening, I'm thinking about Angela at the BYU basketball game cheering for Chris who was playing for Utah, and cute Chamberlain (Josh' son) living, breathing and wearing only Cougar blue. Cute memory - when Chamberlain was staying here with grandma and grandpa, he would sleep with a Cougar blanket in a little tent in my office. I was tucking him in one night and he said, "so grandma...are you going to start rooting for the Cougs or Ute's? I hate the Ute's grandma!" That question and comment made me smile. As Utah was killing BYU last night (I'm finishing up this blog today following the game), Chamberlain said to his mom, "mom...they need Jimmer!"


Memories are part of growing older. With kids gone I'm trying to write things down and create a life history. Many memories with the kids were intertwined with basketball and music. Memories go back to my attending Duke / North Carolina basketball games where the fans were going nuts on each other, but the players (off the courts, after the games were over) were all friends. Interesting. Then again, thinking back to when the kids were playing high school basketball, I chewed down more fingernails and stressed over every game - especially when there was an occasional air ball :-) Oh well. It's just a game, as they say, but when your kids (or grandkids in the future) are playing, mom (grandma) lives and breathes whatever team colors my babies (grand babies) are playing for! Bottom-line ...I'm a Burgess fan through and through!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment