Saturday, June 16, 2012

THAT'S MY DAD!

When the kids were younger and attending Primary, I decided to write a Father's Day song just for them to sing.  I really didn't like the usual songs that were sung year after year, and I had four in Primary at the time. It is still hand-written, and I'm determined to put it into a music writing computer program so that I can get it officially published. The LDS church actually sent me a request to do just that after recognizing it's submission for newly featured Primary songs last year. There are three versus that pretty much highlight the great attributes of being a DAD.


Ken holding his birthday cake made by Angela & her girls.
The lyrics include (1 of 3 verses):


"My dad is everything to me.
My dad leads our family.
He works hard all day then plays with me at night.
I can count on him
He's my guiding light."


(Chorus)
"Oh my dad.
My wonderful dad.
Oh my dad.
That's My Dad!"
Ken & grandson, Oliver, patiently watching his phone be played with.


  
                                                                                           I was excited to see that tomorrow, Sunday and Father's Day, my daughter is directing her Primary kids in this song.  I was there while they were rehearsing at her home in Orem, Utah, and smiled, took pictures, then reminised about my own children singing it.   I must recognize the fact that the last line of the chorus was suggested by Ken - "That's My Dad!" And it actually made the song more fun to sing.


I'm glad we celebrate various holidays that highlight those we love like Father's Day, Mother's Day, Valentines Day, birthdays, anniversaries, Thanksgiving, and of course, Christmas.  It gives us pause and time to reflect on our blessings that come from those we love. 


Chris and Ava
Tomorrow is Father's Day and I miss my dad. He died right after Duke went to the finals when Chris was playing basketball there. I remember being at the ACC championship game in NC prior to all the NCAA activities, and as I was going into a restaurant with Ken and a couple of friends, having a very strong feeling that something was wrong with my dad. I turned to Ken and said, "I need to fly to Salt Lake and see my dad." And I'm so glad I immediately did that. When I arrived to see him, he looked up at me from his bed and smiled his usual crooked smile, but this time I felt him slowing fading. And I was so happy that I had been prompted to spend time with him before he passed quietly away a short time after my visit. He was such a great man - a loving man who loved classical music. My love of music came directly from him and his influence. He played the piano and cello, and listened to symphonies every day that I can remember growing up. It calmed him, he said. And his sensitivity kept a beautiful balance to our home growing up. I hope to be more like him as life continues to bring their usual challenges.
Ben and his three oldest children (2004)


Ken may like sugar way too much, and seems to always be gone lately with business in Vegas. But, one thing Ken is, and always has been, is a great father. He adores his kids and has been very involved in their lives as a personal basketball coach, guidance counselor, and friend. And I couldn't ask for a better dad. Throughout the 38 years of our marriage, I have been involved in endless amounts of musical productions, choir rehearsals and programs, and business travel. And he's been there 100%. He never misses choir (as long as I'm the director), and he encourages (and puts up with) every project I get compulsively involved with. I love him for that.


Ben's Biker-Buddies!


I'm also blessed beyond belief with five (5) fabulous children - four boys (now young men) - three (3) married who are also fantastic dads. Each one of them loves their role as husband and father, and takes it seriously. Starting from the top is my son, Ben who has five (5) children (and a wonderful wife, Cooper). Ben is an incredible role model for his children, and loving father. He goes out of his way to make memories for and with his children. From chopping down their own Christmas tree, competitively carving pumpkins, camping with his boys, to biking as a family, he is awesome - and his birthday even lands on Father's Day!


Ben chopping the family Christmas tree 2011
Angela's hubby, Eddie adores his five (5) girls, and is known on Facebook for his fun family video's. These video clips give glimpses of the love and tenderness he feels for each of his girls. One of the cutest video's I took on my cell phone last week, was with Eddie reading to Sutton (2). He smiled from ear to ear as she would repeat every word. Such visible and tangible joy and pride he has for all of their accomplishments, and he is incredible with his praise for each one of them. They will never doubt themselves because of his belief in their individual worth and potential.


Brooklyn, Jacquelynn, Madison, Joshlyn, Sutton & Eddie
Eddie and baby girl Sutton

Chris
Chris travels all over the world playing professional basketball, and has never sacrificed, or put off, having a family and being a great dad while pursuing his professional goals and dreams. (Lucky that he has a darling, supportive wife, Lesa, who handles the travel thing like a pro.) And as macho, teasing and corny as Chris can be at times, he has three (3) of the most feminine girls you can imagine who adore their dad. And adding his 9 month old boy, Beckham, to the mix, gives Chris someone tough to wrestle with in the future. His love for fun and perfection is evident in everything he does.



Chris and Beckham

Kelli Jo and Chris celebrating his "32" bday


Chris showing Ava how to wade in the river.





Siri and Joshua














Joshua adores his children. And it is no secret that he loves being a dad. He sets such a good example for them, and their constant, "I love you grandma," is a reflection of love that has been shown to them by Joshua. Joshua's ability to work full time, support his growing family 
(with beautiful wife, Ashleigh), and graduate from BYU this year makes us all proud and proves that when you have your priorities in check, you can do it all!


Joshua, Chamberlain and Ashleigh
What a blessing the father's in my life are, and have always been. I treasure each and every one of them, and I will never take their love and devotion for granted. From my own dad - my husband - to my sons, the world is a far better place because of them. They bring joy, laughter, support, guidance, sacrifice, commitment, integrity and honesty to the world, and especially to those lives they personally touch. They are loved and admired for all that they do. Happy Father's Day to each one of them. I love you. xo


Chamberlain and Joshua
From Proverbs we read, "I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths. When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble. Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is our life."


Baby Siri and Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment