Monday, March 4, 2013

Angel Adelaide


Grandma adores all eighteen (18) of her precious grandchildren and loves spending time with them. Each possesses a special something that is unique to them. One very special little girl, now growing up and approaching fourteen (14) this year, is my angel Adelaide. Her smile lights up the room and her spirit of joy and love melts your heart. Adelaide is perfection to the core, and has a heart of gold that sees her caring and loving everyone, never judging anyone, and always there to help with a smile that says, "I love you unconditionally."

When Adelaide was less than one year old she was diagnosed with cancer in her right eye. Many prayers were offered in her behalf and even here in Southern California in our 4th ward a special fast was held for her. My son Ben felt those prayers as he entered the temple just prior her surgery. Those prayers carried her through the surgery and although she lost her eye, she never lost her loving spirit and beautiful smile. I remember so well seeing her with her eye patch on as I entered her hospital room and her smile from ear to ear was saying, "hi grandma!" What a little trouper, but more than that, what a special, chosen young lady with a very special calling on this earth - to set an example for all of us to follow.


I'm here for a couple of weeks in State College, PA watching Ben and Cooper's five children while they cruise, and I couldn't have handled all that was required without the help of my precious Adelaide's. I arrived to finding Oliver (4) not filling well with getting over the flu, followed by Jane (6) becoming violently sick with this same flu and heaving all night. Memories of my own children doing the same thing when they were young did not make the night of cleaning up the effects of the flu (everywhere) any easier. The very next day grandma got sick and thought death was at her door for those 24 hours, so of course, Adelaide stepped up and stepped in, took care of the kids, the dinner, the homework, and made sure grandma rested. 


I love being around Adelaide because no matter what is happening around her, her spirit warms the room and her smile is contagious. 

"Sometimes our light goes out, but is blown again into instant flame by an encounter with another human being."  - Albert Schweitzer

I will take Adelaide's example with me when I return home in a week. When I'm grumpy I will think of her smile. When I'm ungrateful I will think of her love for everything and everyone. Adelaide is an inspiration to everyone she meets, but especially her grandma Burgess who needed to be around this angel Adelaide to just keep her eye on the eternal goals we all have, but often lose sight of. Thank you Adelaide - my precious angel.






No comments:

Post a Comment