Sunday, March 17, 2013

Another Adventure

Grandpa and Oliver
Ice Cream Party
After spending 35 days in Abu Dhabi with Chris and Beckham I headed for State College, PA to take care of Ben and Cooper's five fab kids while they cruised. And it was an adventure from day one. Oliver was getting over the flu when I arrived, we celebrated my birthday at a scouting Blue and Gold pizza party (Ben brought me awesome salad since I can't eat pizza), Ben and Cooper left and I was up all night with Jane who was hit hard with Oliver's flu, I broke the washer by throwing all of Jane's bedding into the washer after a night of cleaning up the flu (yikes), then I got sick with same flu and Adelaide had to take charge. Grandma thought she was going to die those 24 hours, then the car battery died from someone (me) leaving lights on, neighbor came over the next evening and jumped it but had to have Triple AAA come jump it three more times, internet stopped working, no TV, blew through all of the family plan with my MyFi (sp?), light bulbs throughout house started popping all at the same time it seemed, and kids didn't seem to like anything grandma cooked. But...I loved being there and miss them desperately. My 5 Dwarfs (vs 7) are Adelaide (Happy), Nolan (Bossy), Calvin (Grumpy), Jane (Sleepy), Oliver (Smarty).  All grandma's think their grandchildren are brilliant, gorgeous, and perfect. It's part of our privilege as grandparents. But these amazing kids are brilliant, gorgeous and perfect. I wouldn't change a thing (except the messes they made in their rooms daily.) Family night (to their chagrim) was "Cleanliness is Next to Godliness" LOL. They hated that for sure, but maybe there will come some benefits from that lecture? Typical kids. I was thrilled Ken arrived to assist me the last five days and although we had to replace the car battery, he was there to make that happen. I loved getting to know the kids a little better, I miss their laughter, borrowing my iPad, asking me if they can have another ice cream party, and their hugs. They live too far away and I don't get to see them enough, but my memories of this two week adventure will always make me smile, and I'm blessed to be able to hop on an airplane at any time to go wherever I am needed.



Calvin Taking Charge at Walmart

Calvin's Batman Collection

Shirt for Jane from Dubai

Jane and Oliver Playing Games

McDonalds for Lunch

Oliver and YouTube

Oliver and His Many Faces

Utah Pillow Pet for Oliver

Never Ending Cleaning Battle

Finally a Meal They Liked!

No comments:

Post a Comment