Saturday, August 11, 2012

Doesn't Look Good for Mom

I think Chris' comment when he snapped this photo of me after first attempting my workout with him in Bountiful, Utah was, "doesn't look good for mom."

Well, that's how it started. Me driving to Utah to spend the month of July at Chris and Lesa's home attempting to make lifestyle changes. I've been told that it takes 21 days of doing something consistently to form a habit. And that was my goal. At age 61, after 6 children (and 17 grandchildren :-), a type 2 diabetic, working too much behind my computer either teaching voice, writing training materials and communications for a new company called Voyager Health Technologies, or talking on the phones non-stop, my lifestyle had to change.The ole' mantra chanted over and over by all health professionals is "eat less, move more." I needed to adapt and internalize this mantra, so I took Chris up on his offer to work me out all of July. It was also a good incentive to start to get in shape for David and Sarah's wedding on August 4th. And I'm so glad I did this. And I will be forever grateful for those 30 days, to Chris for his patience, care and love - although this pictures doesn't reflect that.

My day would start with 45 minutes of loud music - usually Adele or a musical - while I walked on the treadmill, followed by Chris bounding down his stairs to workout himself there in his home gym to P90X video's, then giving me the basics (the "P" of P90X) with warm-ups, arms, abs legs, and the dreaded stand up, sit down routine. That first week was so tough and Chris had to hide his chuckling as I would nearly fall with every exercise. But, near the end of my stay there I could do every exercise, and was down over 20 pounds. And although this is a drop in the fitness bucket with my goals, I am now on the right track and after coming home I signed up at the new Irvine LA Fitness Center, and haven't missed a day with exercise. I actually love it!
From left (Jamie Armstrong move out of the picture) David, Chris, Josh & Ben

The boys were a huge help for me. Their love and care was shown in so many ways. Between phone calls, text messaging reminders and encouragement, to banning me from cheese and late night snacking, I slowly changed my outlook on the word "diet", replacing it with "lifestyle."

Josh was the most concerned about me taking cheese, especially string, out of my diet. David kept encouraging me, and when Ben arrived for the wedding he would make me walk to the LA Fitness Center, workout, then walk back. He and Cooper set me up with my lock and small backpack for this daily trek. However, since they've left, I do enjoy driving there, working out, then driving home :-)

My goals are now looking more long term with seeing lifestyle changes, and hopefully by Christmas I'll be where I want to be.  I have to take one day at a time, as they say - one foot in front of the other - and like the way I feel. And, the good news? I got into that red St. John knit suit for David's wedding!
Smores Bar at wedding reception (I did have one!)



No comments:

Post a Comment