Tuesday, October 18, 2011

THE ENGAGEMENT

Sunday, the 16th of October, I was watching a show I love and have watched fifteen times - The Proposal. The phone rang and it was my youngest son, David. He asked what I was doing. I told him, then he said, "I just asked Sarah to marry me." After a gleeful "wonderful!" I asked for details. To my amazement my son described how he had proposed, and I was proud of his thoughtful, romantic actions to do one of the most important things in his life. To marry and start a life together. 


That took me back to reflecting on Ken and I's engagement, and it made me smile. The week before Ken took to one knee at Temple Square in Salt Lake City, right in front of the temple, he had randomly said, "we need to get married before I start school in September." Not shocked (for some reason since it had only been a couple of months that we had known each other), I said "OK." But the official asking with the ring was done right there in front of the temple. I think Ken said something like, "well, I'd better make if official and ask you to marry me." 


Ben and Cooper
I messaged the kids and both Ben and Chris replied with pictures of when and where. I knew Ben and Cooper's engagement story would be romantic. He has always had that inherited affectionate side. He said, "In March of 1998, I flew out to Washington, DC to visit Cooper at her parents' house. While there, we went sight-seeing around the National Monuments. The famous cherry blossoms were in full bloom around the tidal basin and when we got to the Jefferson Memorial (Cooper's favorite) I lead her to the back pillars where there
weren't any tourists, saying that I wanted a picture, then knelt down to fish around in my backpack for the 'camera'. Instead I pulled out a ring and asked Cooper to marry me." This photo was taken that very day, right after he proposed. Ahhhh, perfection.

Chris and Lesa
Chris was working out in Sarasota, Florida at the IMG Training Facility and Lesa had come to visit. After a lovely dinner at the Charthouse right on the water, they took a walk along the beach, got ice cream, then there on the sand Chris knelt on one knee and asked Lesa to marry him. The setting was perfect. 


I'm yet to hear back on this engagement story and picture request from Josh or Angela, but I know it was a special time for both of them.  That leads me to David and Sarah. David carved two pumpkins with "WILL YOU" in one and 'MARRY ME" in the other. After returning home from dinner and Sarah was out of the front room, David lit the pumpkins and got on one knee and there asked her to marry him. Ahhh...who knew David could be so romantic?  I did. It's in is DNA - but don't tell anyone.  
David and Sarah

1 comment:

  1. It's all about families! Yours is wonderful. Thanks for sharing and helping us all expand our businesses.

    Suz

    ReplyDelete