Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Living on the Lake

The Woodbridge North lake in Irvine, CA
I love where I live, here in the Woodbridge area of Irvine. We moved to Irvine when David was 2 years old, so that would be 23 years. We moved a few times until we built our dream home in Irvine with 6 bedrooms, 5 baths, 2 family rooms, a huge kitchen, and music studio/office for me. It was great there for near 14 years. Then it was too big with 5 empty bedrooms and Ken and I rattling around there by ourselves. So, 2 years ago we moved from the "big house" to a condo on the lake. It was a very short move, still in Irvine, but only 2 bedrooms, a studio/office for me, 2 bathrooms and an even bigger kitchen. And yes, I was sad to move, but after the kids all left, got married, and David in college, it didn't make sense to stay in that big house without them. I, however, love where we are because we are right on the lake. Our deck goes out over the water. We decorated that beautiful deck to the nines, barbecue out there as much as possible, eat near every meal out there practically year round, and when those grandkids come to visit, they never want to leave that deck. Why? the wildlife.
My Deck...Brooklyn, Madison, Jacquelynn


Every morning I have a ritual. Sun peaks in around 6am, so up we pop with Ken heading to the computer to check email, and me downstairs to first, feed the 12 ducks, 18 coy fish, 8 turtles and an occasional noisy couple of geese. Yes, like clockwork those fish, turtles and ducks are right there awaiting me throwing food out to them in my pajamas. And if I'm a bit behind in schedule, they become very vocal and noisy. It's funny really to hear them make an impatient racket out there. Once they are fed I groggily wander back into the kitchen, mix me a blend (my morning tonic) of an herbal tea, emergenCy (packet of vitamin C), packet of something that reads "greens", then head to the deck to sit there and watch the wildlife chase each other around in the water that surrounds my deck. 
Chamberlain feeding the ducks on the lake.


Every morning I thank my Heavenly Father for all of my blessings, my fabulous kids and grandchildren, my opportunities to work from home (for 37 years now), my church callings with music, and of course, the beautiful place I'm blessed to live - right on the lake. I love it. And although I am contemplating moving to Utah to be with many of my children, I still hesitate, because I love living on the lake. There's a peaceful feeling you get when you are on the water. I take my laptop and phone out there and make calls, write training's for the business, scripts and marketing tools, and of course, write in my journal and reflect on the blessings that are mine. Living on the lake has given me peace when I've been hurting, and has put a smile on my face when I'm troubled. It's my own little piece of heaven, and whether we move to be closer to the kids or not, I will always treasure these moments when we were living on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment