Sunday, October 23, 2011

Music to My Ears!

Lights On Broadway 2008
As I was sitting in rehearsal this past Saturday for our newest Irvine stake production, "Amanda's Search for Happiness," I was reflecting back to all of the productions I have been involved with over the years, and it has been extensive. I think the first big one was Little Mary Sunshine in High School, where my task was teaching the music and accompanying the production. While attending the University of Utah I found myself directing sorority productions, music department performances, and many church roadshows. Besides directing choirs since I was 17, I've been blessed to work with some incredibly talented people to include Bob Magrath of Sesame Street fame with the televised March of Dimes telerama, sing as soloist under the baton of many great conductors to include the late Maurice Abravanel of the Utah Symphony (of which Abravanel Hall was named in Salt Lake City, Utah), and perform with incredible musicians, both as a cellist, operatic soloist and conductor. And although all of these musical productions and performances are time consuming, hectic, and get crazy at times, I have loved being very involved with them, and seeing it all come together on opening night.


Lights On Broadway, 2006
The most fun I've had over the years in these productions is when a few of my children were involved. Whether they have sung in the actual production (Ben and Angela), helped me direct with the youth (Angela), or filled in for the "mop" when he didn't show (Chris), it always made it more fun when they were involved. Following the show in November, our ward will be attempting a Messiah Sing-In. That, too will bring memories of singing the lead soprano for eight years. It was always my favorite thing to do all year. I would start preparing my voice around October for the "Rejoice." And although I'm now 60 and won't even attempt the "Rejoice" again, I think I may still have an "I Know that My Redeemer Liveth" in me. Who knows. The preparation will take me away from working the business, teaching my talented students, just long enough to reflect on the message of this monumental piece by Handel. Singing the "Hallelujah Chorus" always choked me up and brought tears to my eyes. And I know it will again. I wish I had recorded my involvement all of those years singing the lead soprano in the Messiah. I can't turn back the clock in age with my voice, but I would have loved to have a recording to just ... remember.


To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven. - Ecclesiastes 3:1



No comments:

Post a Comment